Does load shedding catch you off-guard?
At Trojan, your safety is our biggest concern! That’s why we would like to share some helpful tips that you could implement to make life in the dark a bit easier.
- If possible, invest in a few high-wattage solar powered lights for your garden and a few LED lights for inside. Light is a deterrent to intruders.
- Make sure to keep your cell phone charged.
- If you need to manually open and close your gates when you get home, try to have someone meet you at gate.
- Keep a torch or a solar- or battery-powered light that is charged beforehand in multiple, easily accessible locations around your home.
- Switch it off! If the power goes off, it is safer to turn off or disconnect any electrical appliances that you were using, since a power surge may occur when the electricity is restored.
- Place plastic containers with water in your freezer or freezer compartment. This frozen water will act like ice bricks to help keep food cold during a power outage. It also helps your fridge to save electricity otherwise. When you fill the bottles or tubs with water, leave some space so the water can expand.
- Regularly check your alarm system’s battery. During outages, the battery may die and it won’t be active in the dark.
- Teach your children about fire safety! Keep candles in safe containers out of reach, and don’t leave them on overnight.
- Always ensure there are no gas leaks (ask an expert to install your gas if you’re not 100% confident) and switch all gas appliances off the moment you’re done with them.
For a non-obligatory assessment of your security needs, contact our friendly team on (011) 792 0738 today. Alternatively, fill out a submission form on our website and we would gladly get back to you!